Senior Product Manager - Colleague Technology
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
About Colleague Technology
The purpose of the Colleague Technology is to earn the trust of our colleagues in a simple and helpful way. We aim to provide colleagues with a better experience of working at Tesco, enhanced by technology that’s accessible anywhere and available to everyone. By reducing admin our Managers and People Partners will be able to focus on building teams and capability. And our Colleagues will be able to be more productive and focus on building their skills and careers.
The Role – Senior Product Manager – Colleague Technology
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
- Have complete ownership of a set of complex, strategic enterprise APIs involving multiple internal / external stakeholders and drive the Product strategy and execution for those APIs.
- Formulate the vision, strategy and roadmap for the APIs you own (building new APIs, decommissioning legacy systems) and work with others to align the strategic priorities, dependencies and roadmap across the API suite.
- Quickly build domain knowledge and assess new opportunities (gathering ideas, research, carrying out analysis, refining and prioritising new requirements).
- Plan and co-ordinate significant product efforts that have dependencies on multiple product and delivery teams.
- Steer sprint / release planning sessions in conjunction with engineering counterparts to effectively deliver maximum business value with the least effort.
- Identify and drive improvements in the way API performance and service levels are measured to ensure quality, reliability and security.
- Lead discovery work around minimum viable products (MVP) for any new API / feature, collaborating with delivery teams and internal / external stakeholders to prototype and validating MVPs.
- Help the team in breaking down complex pieces of work and create epics and stories to break down large programmes into smaller, deliverable chunks of value that can be delivered faster.
- Provide leadership and direction to cross-functional delivery teams on short-term tasks / near-term priorities.
- Provide support and coaching to Product Managers as well as peers.
- Be accountable for the performance / adoption of the APIs and work towards increasing the customer base.
- Contribute towards hiring / building a great pool of Product Managers for the Colleague Transformation team and the wider Tesco product function.
- This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised and pragmatic, a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind and motivated to make change things for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You will be responsible for
You’ll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Articulating a complex product strategy in terms of consumer and business value.
- Experience and understanding of agile techniques to deliver world beating products
- Thinking at a conceptual level across a number of platforms (web, mobile, tablets, store apps).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – you must be able to articulate complex concepts to a diverse audience.
- Experience managing work completed from external agencies to ensure the highest standards are met.
- The ability to influence without authority.
- Having proven success in working on unstructured problems, defining hypothesis, creating MVPs, running experiments and analysing results to drive data-driven decisions.
- Product management best practice and methodologies and strong technical acumen.
- Technical competence to influence and understand the solution context and approach and aid engineering in estimating the complexity of work being requested.
- Understanding the impact tech debt is causing, and the value tech upgrades can bring in, and can hold objective conversations with your technology counterparts to prioritize it during any sprint.
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.