Lead Technical Programme Manager - Transport
The job has expired.
About the role
If you love a challenge this one is for you. Be part of the team that delivers world leading Transport planning, routing, execution and tracking solutions to ensure that goods are moved on time and efficiently between suppliers, our warehouses, our stores and finally into customers hands or doorstep.
Ongoing challenges in the industry around Driver availability and rising supply chain costs have underlined the value of work being delivered in our Transport area to reduce trips required.
One key area is in our UK and ROI Depot Transport Planning systems where we are responsible for the planning, execution and tracking of our HGV fleet delivering ambient, fresh and frozen goods to stores up and down the United Kingdom. We are continuing a multi-million pound rollout of the Hive system to more effectively optimise the routing of this fleet, currently saving upwards of 3% in trips and decommission the existing 3rd party system.
You will need to work alongside a mature set of engineering, product and business teams to support the continued rollout into our UK Grocery and National depots, as well as looking forward to the expansion of Hive into CE and our UK Fuel markets.
You will be responsible for
Lead Technical Programme Managers (TPMs) deliver complex, cross-functional technology programmes that support colleagues and help serve our customers better. They work collaboratively, influence Product, Engineering and business colleagues and lead the programme to deliver value quickly and often.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
- Deliver complex programmes with multiple business and technical risks that will impact the success of key Tesco business priorities
- Establish new or improve existing programme delivery methodology to deliver the programme goals
- Shape programmes with ambiguous scope and uncertain delivery approach
- Create and track a plan to deliver the programme goals, including the technical implementation plan, ensuring colleagues and stakeholders from across Tesco are kept up to date
- Provide advice and guidance on programme delivery (line management and mentoring other TPMs and supporting Engineering/Product teams)
- Understand trade-offs in software delivery using experience and influencing skills to drive consensus with the Engineering and Product teams to obtain the best value and solution
- Able to foresee potential risks and issues, establish a process, facilitate discussion, and manage escalations
- Am aware and evaluate trends and new concepts in programme and product delivery
- Able to understand a technical architecture to be able to foresee the impact on dependencies, delivery timelines and implementation plans
- Have good knowledge of engineering best practices and practical infrastructure implementations to appreciate delivery challenges
- Collaborate with the Product and Engineering teams to define annual budgetary requirements
- Build positive relationships with suppliers & external stakeholders to deliver software or professional services, holding them to account on delivery and improvement plans
- Support vendor selection processes (tendering, agreeing SLAs, warranty periods, outsourcing)
- Facilitate and support the development of individuals
- Communicate clear objectives and career path for any direct reports
- Coach peers and other roles, teaching where required, on methodologies and programme management tools and coach/mentor on leadership
- Participate in the recruitment process
- Contribute actively to TPM community
You will need
An ideal candidate must have demonstrated below key skills in their current and past roles:
- Have a proven record of accomplishment in delivering technology and/or infrastructure; having done so across multiple teams in multiple geographies
- Have experience of building credible relationships and influencing senior management & leadership teams
- Strong Project, Stakeholder & Programme management skills
- Strong vendor management and negotiating skills.
- Exceptional reporting skills for programs and financial forecasting
- Excellent communication & influencing skills and adoptability to changes
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we’re finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We’re driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world’s leading retailer.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious roadmap of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
If that sounds exciting, then we'd love to hear from you.
This role is suitable for experienced candidates in either UK, CE or India.