Senior Frontend Software Engineer - Connect
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work! These include but are not limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (and bank holidays)
- Great colleague discounts and deals, saving you money on everyday purchases, utility bills for the home and more
- Retirement savings plan – save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Buy as you earn and Save as you earn share schemes
- Opportunities to get on – take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training to help you achieve the career you want
About the role
As a Frontend Software Development Engineer (SDE) you’ll be working in an agile team of industry leading engineers upon developing Tesco Connect.
Tesco Connect is an application which enables both our Supply Chain team and suppliers to manage the supply and demand of all the products across all of our stores and depots globally. We manage a control tower view of our supply chain, which is super-critical to our business and we’re looking for new Frontend SDE’s to continue growing the team.
Our team partner with Product and are responsible for the future direction of the products that we build, solving problems and developing new features through quality, scalable, performant and maintainable technical solutions. Your applications make previously complex tasks simple with the impact ranging from saving time, effort, or money to re-defining normal.
Tech that we use: ES6, React, Styled-components, Webpack, Cypress, Docker, Azure DevOps.
You will be responsible for
Our Frontend SDE’s are the creative minds developing the software applications that make life easier for customers, colleagues and suppliers. They are responsible for the entire development and support process for software solutions. Some of the key responsibilities are listed below:
- Identify patterns in code and refactor the code towards them where it increases understanding and/or maintainability with minimal guidance
- Mentor and develop others around you, sharing knowledge with the wider engineering community
- Follow the best practices of continuous BDD/TDD/Performance/Security/Smoke testing
- Support production systems, resolve incidents and performing root cause analysis
- Continually propose and drive process improvements, produce proof of concepts to evaluate new tools
You will need
As a Senior Frontend SDE it goes without saying that we’d expect you to have extensive experience in a Frontend role prior, we’d love for you to have a desire to write readable, maintainable & extendable code as well as having awareness of UI performance best practices. We’d also love to hear from you if the below sounds like you:
- Understanding and exposure to integrating REST API endpoints as well as DevOps model & automation
- Design and develop larger systems and features, anticipating medium term (3-6 month) vectors of change, designing and abstracting accordingly
- An ability to profile and optimise code
Strategy & Delivery:
- Problem solving, analysis and computational skills. You are comfortable designing systems and reasoning about them. When tackling problems, you take a thorough and logical approach to solving them and retaining ownership through to resolution
- Customer focus. You can find the right balance between outcome delivery and technical excellence. You place the needs of our customers above the needs of you and the team
- Written and verbal communication skills. You can communicate effectively and efficiently considering the nature of your audience
Our vision at Tesco is to become every customer’s favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is “Serving our customers, communities and planet a little better every day”. Serving means more than a transactional relationship with our customers. It means acting as a responsible and sustainable business for all stakeholders, for the communities we are part of, and for the planet.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings. We’re committed to creating a workplace where differences are valued, and make sure that all colleagues are given the same opportunities. We’re a big business with diverse working patterns and many business areas which means that we can find something that works for you. Everyone is welcome at Tesco.
We have recently announced that we are moving to a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our offices continue to be where we connect, collaborate and innovate. Talk to us about how this can work for you.
Note: Should you be successful in your application, your employment will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.