Sustainability Programme Manager
The job has expired.
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
- 25% off Tesco Café
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shuttle Bus Service to/from Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
About the role
Sustainability is core to Tesco’s purpose of Helping Customers, Communities and Planet A Little Better Every Day. As a multinational food company and retailer, we have an important role to play in tackling the biggest social and environmental issues we face and ensuring that our colleagues and suppliers work with us. Collaboration is at the heart of our strategy.
We have an exciting opportunity for a passionate sustainability professional to join our Environment team as Sustainability Programme Manager. The Environment team at Tesco works across the business and with external stakeholders to develop and implement our industry leading sustainability commitments to tackle some of the biggest environmental challenges facing the planet.
The Hiring Manager for this role is Anna Turrell
You will be responsible for
Reporting to the Head of Environment, you will work alongside the Environment, Human Rights and Waste teams to develop and embed sustainability within Tesco’s supplier relationships and across the wider business. Our success is dependent on our colleagues and our suppliers working with us to deliver a sustainable food system.
The successful candidate will be a self-starting team-player, with a strong technical understanding of corporate sustainability issues, and exceptional engagement and influencing skills.
The main areas of responsibility include:
- Sustainability strategy
- Support and coordinate business units across the Group to develop coherent sustainability strategies, aligned to the overall business sustainability strategy.
- Be the key first contact point for Tesco for all business units, connecting them with relevant internal and external experts.
- Establish governance on progress and visibility of sustainability strategies across the business
- Provide monthly status updates to senior business leaders via regular reporting process
- Category engagement
- Work with categories and sustainability managers to define sustainability priorities and time measured KPIs for UK, ROI, CE and Booker businesses
- Develop and manage capacity building/training programmes for categories (and other colleagues across the business) on key sustainability issues
3. Supplier engagement and delivery
- Coordinate coherent supplier engagement across Environment, Human Rights and Waste agendas
- Coordinate agendas for top-to-top discussion with priority suppliers.
- Be the key contact point for Category teams on lead (‘BMS plan’) suppliers, ensuring sustainability initiatives and priorities are agreed by category teams
- Manage periodic reporting of progress to senior internal stakeholders
4. Data management and reporting
- Manage Tesco’s relationship with Anthesis, who manage the Tesco Supplier Network, to ensure that all relevant information is shared with suppliers, that data is being captured from suppliers, and that the business has a clear strategy in place across UK, ROI, CE and Booker businesses.
- Oversee the process of collecting and analysing trend data on supplier performance against sustainability priorities, compliance metrics and other relevant KPIs.
Manage feedback to suppliers on sustainability performance
You will need
The ideal candidate will have:
Education and Professional experience
- Relevant background in sustainability, environmental management, etc.
- Experience working within a retail/FMCG context
- Experience working in sustainability within the supply chain/manufacturing
- Experience working with related topics within an NGO/not-for-profit sector
- Technical expertise (detailed below)
- Effective communication
- The ability to influence stakeholders and situations to achieve desired outcomes
- The ability to build and manage collaborative relationships
- Business acumen
- Analytical and strategic thinking
- Exceptional drive and passion for tackling climate change
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent communication and engagement skills, able to engender trust and foster collaboration
- Strong presentation skills
- Experience with data management and reporting
Tesco has become a market leader by doing the little things that really matter for our customers and colleagues. It is part of what makes Tesco such a great place to work!
We are the UK's number one retailer and we pride ourselves on offering a great shopping experience. We are passionate about our food, merchandise and services and will always try to get things right for our customers.
But did you know we also offer great job opportunities? With stores, distribution centres and offices across the UK, we have a vast variety of roles and we are always looking for people who have a hunger to work with customers and colleagues across our exciting business. We believe in treating each other with respect and giving everyone an equal opportunity to get on. It's our people that make the difference every day - helping us make a difference for our customers.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone is welcome and truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings to enable us to serve our shoppers a little better every day. We strive to create a workforce that reflects our customers not only here in the UK, but worldwide. Our aim is to attract and welcome a diverse range applicants from all walks of life, offering many varying working patterns across our business and we would love to hear from you!
It remains that Shire Park is our central location for Head Office teams. We have recently announced that we will be moving towards a more blended working week – combining office and remote working. Our base will be the office, where we connect, collaborate and innovate – and there will be the expectation for everyone to be in the office more often than not. For Head Office roles we therefore expect colleagues to spend a proportion of their time at our offices in Shire Park.
We are supportive of colleagues having conversations with hiring managers about what office presence will look like in the context of the role.
NOTE: Should you be successful in your application, your offer will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.