The following content displays a map of the jobs location - Welwyn Garden City
Security Analyst II - SOC
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 20% of base salary
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
About the role
About The Cyber Security Team
Our cyber security team are the eyes and ears of our organisation. We use the latest technologies to increase visibility and protection of systems, services and data. To do this we need to stay ahead of the latest threats and continuously improve our tooling, techniques, and processes.
Responsible for developing and running security processes day-to-day for the Tesco Group, we’re continually working to step change security capability to further enhance the protection and controls that we offer for our customers and colleagues across the UK, Europe and Asia, and we’re looking to add great people to our growing team.
We’re looking to add great people to our growing team because we believe that skilled and passionate people are our greatest asset in reducing risk to our business and customers. We encourage and support continual development and learning, and recognise the importance of keeping up with changes in technology and an evolving threat landscape.
Communication is key - working collaboratively with our software and systems engineering teams to support security throughout the development lifecycle, as well as to build proactive monitoring and responses to security events.
You will be responsible for
The Role – SOC Analyst
As a SOC Analyst, you will primarily focus on the detection, investigation, and resolution of security incidents by applying a blend of your technical skills, experience, and knowledge of security principles. Furthermore, you will contribute to the effectiveness and maturity of the Security Operations Centre (SOC) team by contributing to tooling, updating and creating new run books, and keeping abreast of the latest patterns and trends within the wider security arena. Maintaining a high-level of awareness, improving our incident response, and remediation support are day to day team activities. You will commit to maintain proficiency, research and share the latest attack techniques, new concepts, and other interesting security related topics.
You will be on your way to building a strong security-themed portfolio of experience and roles. You see this SOC Analyst role within Tesco, a leading international retailer and technology organisation, as the next logical step to develop and hone your skills. You will be enthusiastic, resourceful, and innovative. Furthermore, you will relish the challenge of solving complex problems by drawing upon your curiosity, technical knowledge, and ability to think outside the box.
You will need
Key Skills and Experience
- Following our Business Code of Conduct and always acting with integrity and due diligence
- Triage of security alerts; employs a methodical and coherent response to security incidents
- SIEM tooling operation or administration (e.g. Splunk, ELK Stack, QRadar)
- Utilise playbooks, checklists, and online resources for guidance in response to incidents
- Proactive development of SOC tooling, techniques, and processes to improve incident response
- Propose improvements and recommendations to increase visibility and effectiveness of security monitoring systems
- Perform technical analysis from varied data sources (endpoint event logs, SIEM data, dashboards, enterprise applications), then develop and present coherent and reasoned next steps
- Leverage your technical skills, experience, and systems data to respond to complex security incidents in an innovative and effective manner
- Use your hands-on experience and theoretical understanding of TCP/IP and other related network protocols: TCP, ARP, ICMP, DHCP, DNS, HTTP, SNMP
- Command line experience and using/modifying basic scripts
- Working knowledge of the Cyber Kill Chain and/or Incident Response Phases
- Perform business as usual tasks (e.g. access to UK Data Centres, write reports, maintain and utilise information security communication channels, escalate incidents and non-compliance)
- Broad understanding of key security concepts/principles (CIA, threats, vulnerabilities, and exploits)
- Broad understanding of commonly-accepted attackers' tools and tactics
The Ideal Candidate
Desirable Experience / Tools / Technologies
- Strong background in Information Technology; though not necessarily in security
- Proficient in at least one or more, within a corporate environment, from:
- Endpoint operating systems (e.g. Microsoft, Linux, and/or OS X; especially Kali)
- Core networking principles (e.g. switches, routers, wireless access points, Internet)
- Infrastructure security devices (e.g. firewalls, proxies, IDS/IPS)
- Supporting enterprise level services (e.g. AD, DNS, DHCP, IIS, Apache, VPN/DA, Databases)
- Anti-virus, anti-malware, ransomware, data leak protection
- Vulnerability management, endpoint forensics, intrusion analysis activities
- Cloud computing platform (e.g. AWS, Azure, GoogleCloud)
- Open Source Security tools
- One or more from: Python, PowerShell, Bash, Java
- Exposure to Agile/DevOps methods of working
Essential Certifications (or willingness to achieve within 9 months of starting)
- CompTIA N+, CompTIA Security+, ISC2 SSCP, Splunk Power User
- One or more from: CompTIA A+ and/or CompTIA N+, CompTIA Security+, GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, CEH, OSCP, SSCP, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security. Where appropriate other industry relevant certifications will be considered.
- Relevant university degree or equivalent work experience
Soft / Personal Skills
- Demonstrable curiosity, enthusiasm, and pro-active attitude to security and personal development
- Commitment to driving SOC capability towards greater maturity and observing KPIs along the way
- Problem solver by nature, willingness to challenge the status quo
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and written and oral communications, self-motivator
- Team player and independent worker, relationship builder
- Ability to liaise with subject matter experts, key stakeholders, and colleagues at all levels
About The Company
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we’re finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We’re driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world’s leading retailer.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious roadmap of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
If that sounds exciting then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our Campus in Welwyn Garden City.