Buying Manager - Food
The job has expired.
What’s in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme where you can earn up to 3.5% of base salary
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
- 25% off Tesco Café
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shuttle Bus Service to/from Hatfield & Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus & Hatfield Offices
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
About the role
Our Buying teams are responsible for sourcing the best quality product, from the best supplier partner, at the very best price. Whether that's the latest home trend, or the best possible strawberries in the market, we're passionate about making sure we surprise and delight our customers with exciting and innovative products.
This role sources and buys great quality products, giving our customers the best offer, range and prices available.
You will be responsible for
- Building a customer focused, long term category strategy that delivers sustainable growth for the business & drives market out-performance.
- Finding, developing and managing suppliers, to deliver our customer propositions and our joint business targets whilst ensuring that product quality is achieved & maintained.
- Working with suppliers to build a strong Buy/Move plan that ensures our products are manufactured, moved & sold in the most efficient way possible
- Effectively managing commodity and currency risk and negotiating a sustainable, market leading commercial position.
- Forecasting and managing budgets effectively. Delivering quantum profit targets. Always being cost conscious.
- Developing and leading a high performing team, giving them the opportunities to be their best.
- Adhering to all Tesco policies, storage and hand-over protocols and successfully completing all my training so that I have zero GSCOP breaches. Ensuring all agreements are recorded in writing, reporting GSCOP complaints to Legal within 48 hours of receipt, and leading a culture of compliance within the team.
- Following our Business Code of Conduct and always acting with integrity and due diligence.
You will need
Experience relevant for this job:
- Commercial buying experience
- Range and trade planning
- Leading and developing teams
- Report preparation and analysis
- Operational understanding of the business
Operational skills relevant for this job:
- Influencing and negotiation
- Stakeholder Management
- Supplier Management
- Buying management
- Data Analysis
- Microsoft Excel
- Supplier economics
- Store operations
Tesco has become a market leader by doing the little things that really matter for our customers and colleagues. It is part of what makes Tesco such a great place to work!
We are the UK's number one retailer and we pride ourselves on offering a great shopping experience. We are passionate about our food, merchandise and services and will always try to get things right for our customers.
But did you know we also offer great job opportunities? With stores, distribution centres and offices across the UK, we have a vast variety of roles and we are always looking for people who have a hunger to work with customers and colleagues across our exciting business. We believe in treating each other with respect and giving everyone an equal opportunity to get on. It's our people that make the difference every day - helping us make a difference for our customers.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone is welcome and truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings to enable us to serve our shoppers a little better every day. We strive to create a workforce that reflects our customers not only here in the UK, but worldwide. Our aim is to attract and welcome a diverse range applicants from all walks of life, offering many varying working patterns across our business and we would love to hear from you!
NOTE: Should you be successful in your application, your offer will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.