Assistant Buyers - Product
What’s in it for you
- Annual bonus scheme where you can earn up to 3.5% of base salary
- Holiday starting at 20 days plus a personal day, rising to 22 days after 12 months (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted “Gympass” membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes – Join our ‘Buy As You Earn’ & ‘Save As You Earn’ share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C’s apply
- 25% off Tesco Café
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shuttle Bus Service to/from Hatfield & Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus & Hatfield Offices
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life’s challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
About the role
Are you passionate about retail and progressing your career in buying with Britain's largest retailer?
Then look no further because we are always on the lookout for talented individuals who want to start or develop their buying career within Commercial Product across Food and General Merchandise.
You will be working in a fast-paced, rewarding environment with a dynamic & talented team & we will provide you with excellent training & development throughout your buying journey with us!
If we stock it, we buy it! We responsibly source and buy great quality products that allow us to give our customers the best offers, range, quality and price. In recent months & in response to a shift in customer shopping habits we have increased capacity from 600,000 online delivery slots to over 1.5 million a week - whichever area of Commercial Product you join, your work has the potential to positively affect the lives of millions of Tesco customers every week.
If you would like to register your interest in a Buying position at Tesco, please apply now, we would love to hear from you! These roles are based on our Welwyn Garden City Campus in Hertfordshire.
You will be responsible for
- Supporting your manager to manage supplier performance, identifying potential new suppliers and supporting them to build long term supplier relationships
- Negotiating (with support) supplier terms agreements (incl. returns), improving the trading position sustainably
- Using insight tools to analyse and understand performance issues and opportunities
- Conducting regular store & website visits and reviewing customer insights, trends and competitor activity, helping shape our future product and range requirements for our customers
- Report and analysis preparation for your manager
- Helping to build and source customer/market insight led ranges and product innovation
- Negotiating with suppliers to agree and deliver market leading buy/move/sell plans for your areas aligned to the customer plan & category strategy with support from your manager
- Supporting delivery of trade, promotions & events plan, striving to exceed KPI's, drive footfall and forecast accurately
- Managing samples (incl. obtaining them from suppliers as well as storage and disposal)
- Working with suppliers and quality teams to ensure product quality is achieved and maintained
- Ensuring new products and suppliers are set up accurately and on time
- Maintaining your department’s systems and trackers
- Adhering to all Tesco policies, storage and handover protocols and successfully completing all your training
- Following our Business Code of Conduct and always acting with integrity and due diligence
You will need
- A passion for fast moving retail or experience of working in an FMCG organisation
- Influencing, stakeholder management & negotiation skills
- Able to analyse data
- Product Development/Sourcing experience is desirable but not essential
Key People and Teams you will work with:
- Assistant Merchandise Planners, Customer Proposition Analysts, Assistant Web Traders, Design Assistants. Trade Planning teams
- Tesco Business Service Team based in India
Tesco has become a market leader by doing the little things that really matter for our customers and colleagues. It is part of what makes Tesco such a great place to work!
We are the UK's number one retailer and we pride ourselves on offering a great shopping experience. We are passionate about our food, merchandise and services and will always try to get things right for our customers.
But did you know we also offer great job opportunities? With stores, distribution centres and offices across the UK, we have a vast variety of roles and we are always looking for people who have a hunger to work with customers and colleagues across our exciting business. We believe in treating each other with respect and giving everyone an equal opportunity to get on. It's our people that make the difference every day - helping us make a difference for our customers.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone is welcome and truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings to enable us to serve our shoppers a little better every day. We strive to create a workforce that reflects our customers not only here in the UK, but worldwide. Our aim is to attract and welcome a diverse range of applicants from all walks of life, offering many varying working patterns across our business and we would love to hear from you!
NOTE: Should you be successful in your application, your offer will be subject to and conditional upon you providing your bank account details on your agreed start date.