Data Science Manager
This job has been closed.
About the role
Here at Tesco we focus on solving complex business problems and developing data products that can be deployed at scale to our customers. Our work spans across multiple areas including Stores, Online, Fulfilment, Marketing and Clubcard and we encourage rotation amongst our Data Scientists so they can apply their skills to different business challenges and gain deeper levels of subject matter expertise.
Our core work involves developing data products that can be deployed at scale both internally and externally. On any day you could be supporting the automation of decision-making across the business; optimising processes for key business objectives; or conducting deep-dive exploratory analysis to inform strategic decision-making.
You will be responsible for
- Own your technical domain and lead technical engagements with multiple business units
- Line manage junior Data Scientists and mentor and coach wider team in best approaches to optimisation problems
- Help to define the strategic direction the team should take, trading off between contradicting priorities
- Translate ambiguous business challenges into data science problems and applications
- Manage, guide and mentor the team in their daily work
- Communicate complex solutions in a clear, understandable way to non-experts
- Work end-to-end on Data Science developments, contributing to all aspects of the project lifecycle which result in productionised data products
- Scientifically analyse and evaluate the effectiveness of different approaches to guide future development and track the value created by the team
- Build mathematical models on top of big data architectures to gain deep insights into opportunities to improve the customer experience and the Tesco business
- Promote data science across Tesco, and promote Tesco across the external Data Science community
You will need
- Specialist knowledge of a technical Data Science domain (domain dependent upon specific focus of role but will include one of: Operations Research, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Forecasting, Simulation, NLP, Statistics)
- Experience with different programming languages and a high level of capability of at least one language - Python, Scala, Java, R (or similar)
- Ability to influence senior stakeholders on technical topics
Experience relevant for this job
- Experience of leading highly technical Data Science developments involving multiple stakeholders
- Experience of coaching / mentoring others in technical approaches
- Experience of partnering with technology teams to productionize developments and roll out at scale